7 JOB INTERVIEWS FROM HELL TO NEVER LOSE SLEEP OVER BECAUSE IT’S NOT YOU BUT THEM
(Based on real-life encounters in Singapore)
Work can be a major source of anger, anxiety and depression because it determines our livelihood but also our identity and self worth. But even in an employer’s market like Singapore, jobseekers must uphold their dignity and recognise poor HR practices and inexperienced interviewers, too.
- Their opening question is, “Tell me about yourself” then they flip open to read your resume for the very first time as they search for your name.
- No less than three junior HR executives interview you for a senior position but are suddenly struck dumb when they can’t answer any of your job-related questions.
- He suddenly offers you the job for $x (usually a low figure) just to gauge your reaction but with no intention to hire you.
- They grill you for no less than 45 minutes but when it’s your turn to ask they limit you to just three questions because they have other candidates to see.
- You wonder whether you are at a job interview or press conference because it sounds like they lifted motherhood statements from their press release to answer your questions on company growth and career trajectory.
- The senior manager decides not to show up leaving her junior executive who has not read your resume to interview you. She works fast and needs just 10 minutes to decide that you are not right for the job and tells you that in your face.
- The HR staff interrupts to ask, “What if I don’t give you your asking salary?” When he detects your displeasure he adds, “Just because you are here doesn’t mean we will give you the job.”