(Based on real conversations)
Social workers, counsellors, donor & volunteer management executives are just some of the many jobs that make up the helping profession that started in Singapore way back in the 60s.Yet many continue to romanticise the work from a distance, which makes one wonder whether we are less caring or just uncomfortable with our own class disparities.
1. But why? Life is short, don’t you want to enjoy it?
2. You must have done well early in your career to make this sacrifice now.
3. At least you don’t have your own family.
4. It’s so noble of you but I just have too many commitments.
5. It doesn’t pay, but it’s less stressful helping the needy, right?
6. How are you still able to afford your vacation?
7. I admire your passion.That’s why I keep my day job as a banker.
8. It must be so tiring. How do you do it?
9. Don’t worry. Heaven has eyes and He knows.
10. If everyone were like you this world would be a better place.