About James Leong
Singaporeans are “kiasu” (afraid to lose), but this affectionate term is really centred on fear and has serious consequences.
Many have likened Singapore to a key-performance index nation where your value in society is determined by your job, address and possessions. Are we seeking validation but in all the wrong places and for all the wrong reasons? Singapore is driven by fear. This fear to live up to expectations does not discriminate and I have seen how it permeates every level of society.
I have counselled youths at risk, students, families in distress, the mentally ill, unemployed and the elderly. My counselling sites include the Singapore Anglican Community Services, Youth Guidance Outreach Services, Centre for Psychotherapy, All Saints Home and the Executive Counselling Training Academy and psychiatrists in private practice.
I’m trained in various counselling modalities such as Family Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Redecision Therapy and Solutions Focused Brief Therapy, every one is unique in their values, belief systems and situations. Instead, a sense of authenticity, affirmation and creativity marks my approach to counselling.
I’ve spent close to 25 years in the media industry and run my own consultancy helping the rich and powerful, but I find true purpose working with voluntary welfare organisations (VWO), government agencies, charities and non-government organisations such as the Centre for Fathering, Singapore Anglican Community Services and True Colours Festival to raise awareness for their causes.
Listen without Prejudice seeks to help Singaporeans strip away the fear and anxieties of expectations in the hope of discovering their true selves and values so they can lead meaningful lives.
LIST OF ACCREDITATIONS
- Master in Social Sciences (Counselling) -Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne Australia
- Advanced Training in Family Therapy Interventions -Swinburne University of Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Social Sciences (Counselling) -Swinburne University of Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Social Sciences (Counselling) -Swinburne University of Technology
- Certificate in Psychological First Aid Course-Singapore Red Cross Academy
- SPD Disability Awareness Training Certificate